Pages

2007-11-29

Why I've replaced Vista with Linux

"This decision was a long time coming but I think it is the right thing to do right now: I have reformatted the hard drive on my laptop and replaced Vista with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux as the main operating system. I did this for a number of reasons: it's probably worth going through them one by one."

http://www.it-analysis.com/blogs/Total_Immersion/2007/11/why_i_ve_replaced_vista_with_linux.html

"Whether or not I can work like this is one thing. I am missing certain things, not least LiveWriter and the Vista Sidebar—as general remarks things are not quite as slick as Windows, but perhaps I haven't got my configuration right yet. I'll give myself a month or so like this, so I can establish whether or not I actually want to work like this. For now, the jury is out but I shall keep everyone posted."

2 comments:

kozmcrae said...

It sounds more like the Gnome desktop is not configurable enough for your needs. If you haven't tried KDE as a desktop environment you may want to. It is highly configurable. Many distributions use it or carry it as an option. Some include Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora (as an option) and Mepis. Judging from what I've been reading in the Linux Blogs, and I read a lot, Ubuntu is Linux. Yes, the only Linux. That's unfortunate because it negates one of Linux' most important strengths: Choice.

'ö-Dzin Tridral said...

I would agree entirely. The choice of distributions and the choice of window managers is probably not something that people who know Windows are used to. For me, one of the best aspects of the rise in the usage of Linux is, as kozmcrae says - choice. People can choose Windows if they wish, but it's good if they know that they have choices.